Replacing Hinges Drama but new Hinges Slightly Thicker
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RikB2000
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Hinges Drama but new Hinges Slightly Thicker

by RikB2000 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:26 pm

Hello

I am a newbie to DIY and have recently changed all the mortice locks, face plates, strike plates and handles successfully on all my internal doors. This included getting to grips with a new set of chisels but luckily no need to drill new holes for rose handles.
Anyway, with my new found confidence, I have moved onto replacing hinges. Seemed quite straight forward, they were 3" butt hinges, so replaced with same. However, it was clear that the newly bought ones were of a better quality and the hinge 'leaves' heavier if not thicker and very, very slightly longer (only by around 1mm). The knuckle (??) however is significantly thicker....probably twice the diameter. So although my first effort on an cupboard door seemed successful (although I had to chisel the 1mm out of the door and stop to fit slightly longer leaves), my subsequent efforts have led to doors not closing. The width of the door hitting the door frame by about a mm or so. Not sure I am able to slide the leaves into the cut outs due to the larger diameter of the hinge knuckles! Have I choses the wrong hinges, should these fit regardless....do I need further cut outs to accommodate these larger (and slightly longer) hinge knuckles??
Thanks!!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Hinges Drama but new Hinges Slightly Thicker

by stoneyboy » Mon May 11, 2020 10:18 pm

Hi rikb2000
You will have to increase the depth and size of the cut out to suit the new hinges.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:00 am