DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Replacing jammed stopcok/gatevalve.

Postby Archie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:42 pm

The stopcock in our house is a Gatevale type and it is jammed solid. What would it best to replace it with, another same type/size gate valve or a stop cock.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:20 pm


Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:19 pm

I would change it for a stop tap (can't say stop cock anymore, political correctness and all that.....) as gate valves have a tendancy to jam and the spindles often snap.

I think you mean the mains cold water, hopefully the external stop tap is accessible, if not you can use freezing equipment.
htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics