Replacing Wall Socket With USB Sockets but Too Many Wires
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
youngjohnrobertson
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Wall Socket With USB Sockets but Too Many Wires

by youngjohnrobertson » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Hello,

Apologies for what is probably a very simple problem but I am a total beginner. This probably suggests that I shouldn't try to do this myself but I am determined to learn something.

I am looking to switch out several of our two gang wall sockets for ones with USB sockets built in. From reading various guides on the internet, this seemed pretty easy.

Having taken the precations and unscrewed one of the faceplates, the wall box has two sets of wires going into two sets of connectors on the current wall socket whereas the new sockets only appear to have connections for one set.

Likely a stupid question but what do I do? Can I simply connect each set of wires as appropriate so each connector has two wires connected or is it more complex than that?

Feel free to patronise but any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Wall Socket With USB Sockets but Too Many Wires

by Mr White » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Your assumption is correct. The two lives, in the Live terminal, the two neutrals in the Neutral terminal and the two earths in the Earth terminal.

However before you go ahead, with the electricity off, measure the depth of the back box, as you may find the ones you have are too shallow for your new sockets.

Personally, I do not like the sockets as they are on 24/7 with nothing plugged into them, the switch on the faceplate only turns off the socket, not the USB port.

youngjohnrobertson
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Replacing Wall Socket With USB Sockets but Too Many Wires

by youngjohnrobertson » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:17 am

Thank you Mr White, your response is greatly appreciated.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:22 am