2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
woodyflyer
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Water Mains From Boundry to House With 25mm MDPE

Post by woodyflyer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Replacing Water Mains from boundary to house
Hello
I am replacing the main water service pipe to 25mm MDPE as the property has a shared supply and the old steel pipe is leaking before the stopcock just above the floor , so the whole lot needs replacing to boundary mains
The local Water Board is Severn Trent
Can someone advise me on the following as i don't know what kit to use for the following ??
1/ In Severn Trent guide it states ---- Service pipes should be laid below any gas pipes, electricity and telephone cables and above any drains or sewers. If the service pipe passes under a foul sewer for any reason it must be ducted (covered in a protective sheath) for a metre either side.

What should I use as the pipe will run below the Sewer pipe so it needs to be ducted ,also does it need to be sealed as well ?

2/ when the new mains enter the house it should also be ducted and insulated as well as the end sealed , again what should I use for this , was going to use a long radius soil pipe bend for the duct and some 28mm insulation ? not sure about the end seals ?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Jon

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Water Mains From Boundry to House With 25mm MDPE

Post by plumbbob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:21 pm

The point of ducting the pipe when close to a foul sewer is to increase the protection from possible damage by debris in the surrounding ground. Ordinarily, the pipe does not require any such protection, but the risks associated with contaminated drinking water means it is wise to take extra precautions by adding an additional barrier between the pipe and the backfill. The duct, which could be made from anything strong enough to protect the pipe does not need sealing.

As for inside, your plan sounds fine, but just cap the end with anything that will prevent rodents and insects from entering the property.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:58 am