DIY Doctor

Replacing wires in shed advice on correct route

Postby rokeeffe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:10 pm

Hello All,

I would like to replace the wires in the shed and I wanted to know if I am going about this correctly. Currently, there is a feed coming from a socket in the house, under ground in the garden and into the shed. It goes into a double socket, then out of that and into a light switch powering a tube light.

I would like to take the wire that's coming from the house into a fused switch, out of that into a 2 way junction box. One wire out of that will go to a double socket, the other will go to a double light switch running 2 led lights. I have attached my amateur drawing of what I would like to do.
Shed wiring.png

What I am replacing was done about 20 years ago, if not before. From what I can gather, the wire goes back to a socket in the house which goes back to the consumer unit. On that breaker on the cu there is the sockets of one room, plus the shed. I do not know the spec of the cable that feeds any of this.

I intend on having an electrician inspect this but I am just wondering if I am OK to attempt this setup.

Many thanks in advance
Richie
rokeeffe
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:17 pm

The fused connection unit should be after the socket but before the lights.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
60.4%

Postby rokeeffe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 am

Hi Mr. White, thank you for your reply.

I'll adjust my approach so to have the fused switch to the right of the 2 way junction box, between it and the light switch. Do I even need the fused switch?

Best regards,
Richie
rokeeffe
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby Mr White » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:28 pm

The fused connection unit is there to protect the cable for the lights (in this case) which is why it must be before the lights.
The socket cable should be 2.5mm and the lighting cable should be either 1mm or 1.5mm.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
60.4%

Postby rokeeffe » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks again Mr. White, this is really helpful.
Best,
Richie
rokeeffe
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!