Replacing wires in shed advice on correct route
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rokeeffe
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing wires in shed advice on correct route

Post by rokeeffe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:10 pm

Hello All,

I would like to replace the wires in the shed and I wanted to know if I am going about this correctly. Currently, there is a feed coming from a socket in the house, under ground in the garden and into the shed. It goes into a double socket, then out of that and into a light switch powering a tube light.

I would like to take the wire that's coming from the house into a fused switch, out of that into a 2 way junction box. One wire out of that will go to a double socket, the other will go to a double light switch running 2 led lights. I have attached my amateur drawing of what I would like to do.
Shed wiring.png

What I am replacing was done about 20 years ago, if not before. From what I can gather, the wire goes back to a socket in the house which goes back to the consumer unit. On that breaker on the cu there is the sockets of one room, plus the shed. I do not know the spec of the cable that feeds any of this.

I intend on having an electrician inspect this but I am just wondering if I am OK to attempt this setup.

Many thanks in advance
Richie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing wires in shed advice on correct route

Post by Mr White » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:17 pm

The fused connection unit should be after the socket but before the lights.

rokeeffe
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rokeeffe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 am

Hi Mr. White, thank you for your reply.

I'll adjust my approach so to have the fused switch to the right of the 2 way junction box, between it and the light switch. Do I even need the fused switch?

Best regards,
Richie

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:28 pm

The fused connection unit is there to protect the cable for the lights (in this case) which is why it must be before the lights.
The socket cable should be 2.5mm and the lighting cable should be either 1mm or 1.5mm.

rokeeffe
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rokeeffe » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks again Mr. White, this is really helpful.
Best,
Richie

rokeeffe
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rokeeffe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi All,

I am only now getting round to attempting this project and I have hit a bit of confusion when connecting up the lights. The supply comes in to the double switch from a fused connection unit as suggested above. However, wiring the two lights to the switch doesn't seem to match any instructions I've come across. I've made a diagram of the best attempt I've made to wire it up, which is attached below. If anyone can make sense of this image, could they let me know if I have wired this correctly.

Thanks in advance!
Richie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:48 pm

To try to help you understand, I will explain what is wrong with your drawing.

Light #2 will never work as it is only connected to the switch.
Light #1 Will work when you turn on the supply, but when you turn off the switch there will be a big bang, and nothing will work again.

In order for a light to work it requires Live And Neutral. Light #2 the L & N are only connected to the switch, not the supply. Light #1 will work when you turn on the supply because it will have Live and Neutral, but when the switch is operated you will connect Live at the top of the switch to Neutral on the bottom right of the switch, creating a dead short, so the fuse will go Bang.

You should buy some wago connectors, and use these to connect all 3 neutrals to each other. (N in, N to light #1, N to light #2)

The Live coming in connects to the top terminal of either switch (It will be called C or L1) You should then take a link from this terminal (of which ever switch you chose) to the same top terminal on the other switch.
The Live from each light goes into the bottom Left terminal of each switch. (Two switches, two bottom left terminals, so one wire in each terminal)
Your earth connections are correct.

rokeeffe
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rokeeffe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 pm

Again Mr White, your answer here clarifies everything, thank you very much. I'll now be able to connect it all up tomorrow. I won't turn the power on to the shed before I get someone to have a look over it but I will be able to get everything ready first.
Thanks again!
Richie

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:15 pm

Thanks for the feed back.

Most folk just ask (half) a question, and are never heard from again.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:41 am