Residential cabin built on agricultural land without permission - 4 or 10 year rule?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

brix
Labourer
Labourer

Residential cabin built on agricultural land without permission - 4 or 10 year rule?

by brix » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:27 pm

I have built a self sufficient off grid cabin in a field in Wales which is largely planted to forestry. It is about 21sqm. It is rudimentary but has a composting toilet, hot shower, kitchen (hob, sink and fridge), heating (gas and wood burner), solar power, rainwater harvesting and filtering, etc. It's fully insulated but not to regs. I use it as a place to stay when I'm visiting the area. I probably started building it eight years ago. The weathertight box was complete the following year. It was fully fitted out about 5 years ago (it's quite remote and I only ever got to visit for short stays - so it's been slow but nice to get out of the way and tinker!). I'm thinking of trying to regularise its planning status before possibly upgrading it - could this fall under C3 and be subject to the 4 year rule?