Rewire of lighting ring. Suggestions please.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
impossible
Labourer
Labourer

Rewire of lighting ring. Suggestions please.

by impossible » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:53 pm

After moving into the partner’s home we decided to board the loft up.

This turns into a task of re-insulating the loft, which upon starting, we notice the state of the electrics!

Okay, upon pulling up the existing insulation we have found the lighting circuit hidden underneath and blacked, I assume do to overheating!

I am keen to get the lighting ring replaced, insulation down and finaly loft boards in.

Now for the point of this post!

Can I run 1mm twin and earth cable around the loft to the required existing lights/switches (drops to points) then get a qualified sparky to wire the points and switches up and connect to the fuse box?

Or can I wire the points and switches then get a sparky to connect to the fuse box and approve the work?

I’m keen on trying to save time and money, hence myself willing to do all the donkey work.

Thanks

Imp

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Rewire of lighting ring. Suggestions please.

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:16 pm

[quote="impossible"]After moving into the partner’s home we decided to board the loft up.

This turns into a task of re-insulating the loft, which upon starting, we notice the state of the electrics!

Okay, upon pulling up the existing insulation we have found the lighting circuit hidden underneath and blacked, I assume do to overheating!

I am keen to get the lighting ring replaced, insulation down and finaly loft boards in.

Now for the point of this post!

Can I run 1mm twin and earth cable around the loft to the required existing lights/switches (drops to points) then get a qualified sparky to wire the points and switches up and connect to the fuse box?

Or can I wire the points and switches then get a sparky to connect to the fuse box and approve the work?

I’m keen on trying to save time and money, hence myself willing to do all the donkey work.

Thanks

Imp[/quote]

IMOSSIBLE
I DO APPRECIATE U WANT THINGS COMPLETE.
WITH THIS JOB BEING NOTIFIABLE ( SEE DOC S PART P )
YOU WILL HAVE TO ENGAGE AN ELECTRICIAN AND THEY
CERTIFY WORK THAT THEY KNOW IS UP TO STANDARD
WHEN THEY INSTALL AND TEST. THE THING 2 DO IS HAVE A WORD AND SEE IF HE WILL LET U GIVE A HAND WITH THE JOB. HE MIGHT
LET U UNDER HIS SUPERVISION. ASK AND SEE.
BLAKEY1963

impossible
Labourer
Labourer

by impossible » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:40 am

thanks for your reply.

Imp

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:07 pm