rewiring a garage & new supply
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bertelli_1
Labourer
Labourer

rewiring a garage & new supply

by bertelli_1 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:18 pm

My garage shares a wall with the house & currently takes power for the single socket, light and 2 outside lights from the back of a socket in the lounge. I use the garage quite a lot and would like better lighting and more power sockets. There is a breaker which used to supply the (now removed) immersion heater, can I use this to supply lights & power in the garage? If so will I need a seperate fuse board in the garage or can I just take spurs off the supply?

I'm not familiar with current regs but quite competent at doing the work & just want to make sure the work is compliant. Unlike the current setup which surely can't be.....

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: rewiring a garage & new supply

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:11 pm

[quote="bertelli_1"]My garage shares a wall with the house & currently takes power for the single socket, light and 2 outside lights from the back of a socket in the lounge. I use the garage quite a lot and would like better lighting and more power sockets. There is a breaker which used to supply the (now removed) immersion heater, can I use this to supply lights & power in the garage? If so will I need a seperate fuse board in the garage or can I just take spurs off the supply?

I'm not familiar with current regs but quite competent at doing the work & just want to make sure the work is compliant. Unlike the current setup which surely can't be.....[/quote]

Bertelli
Get some free advice from a local electrcian who can inform you
of part p implications.
BLAKEY1963

bertelli_1
Labourer
Labourer

Re: rewiring a garage & new supply

by bertelli_1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 pm

[quote="BLAKEY1963"]
Bertelli
Get some free advice from a local electrcian who can inform you
of part p implications.
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

I was hoping this forum would be able to do that....

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:40 am

bertelli_1,
due to safety, your insurances and legal requirements, it is a must that electrical installations comply with BS7671:2008 (these are known as the regs, the electrician bible)
Some electrical work can be done around the house as DIY and need not be notifiable to building controls nor have a registered electrician doing the work.
This is generally replacing accessories like for like (socket-outlets, switch plates etc...) or minor repair work even extending or adding on to circuits, it must still comply to BS7671:2008 and extending/adding on to circuit will need a minor work s ceretificate.
Any new circuits should either be notified to building controls(part p) if you are diying it, our intalled by a full scope registered electrician.
What your wanting to do is do-able.
I'd change the fuse/mcb in board to higher rating and feed it to a small CU in garage and split your load accordingly. RCD protecting the new circuit.
But again part p if diying must be complied to, look on projects pages for part p or use registered electrician.
We do try to be as helpful as possible but the safety of you, your family and property is paramount and I and others can not be giving bad advise or advise that could be illegal and make your house insurance invalid.
We are here to help and most are just members of this site offering free advise, so don't think anyone is being unhelpful.
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:58 pm