Ridge tiles on Pent Mansard garage
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

danielmc1
Labourer
Labourer

Ridge tiles on Pent Mansard garage

by danielmc1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:08 am

Hi, first time on this forum and after some roofing advice...

I have a 1950s pent mansard style concrete sectional garage built against the house. I’ve just had a company remove the leaking concrete corrugated roof with box profile steel/plastisol/felt-lined one. They advised me keeping the small tiled front piece of the roof which I am happy with in order to keep the same look from the front of the house.

They removed the ridging tiles, then the old concrete panels, fitted the new metal ones and used flashing tape at the join between the tiles and metal. Unfortunately this is where they stopped work. They told me putting the ridge tiles back on isn’t something they do and that I would have to get a builder to do that for me, or just cement them back on myself from the front.

I was obviously disappointed and their main office confirmed this is the case, despite not informing me of this at time of ordering.

Anyhow, I thought I’d have a go at cementing them on myself as by this stage, they are just decorative as the garage company assured me the work they did is finished from a water-tight perspective. The trouble is, I can only cement them on along the front edge as this edge is on the tiled roof. The rear of the ridge tiles are just sat on the metal roof.

Is this an acceptable way of fixing them? Should I have sat them on some sort of lining rather than straight on the coated metal?

How would you guys have approached this?

Many thanks in advance,
Daniel

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:07 pm