Rising Damp or Leak in 1950s Home?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
sharon69954
Labourer
Labourer

Rising Damp or Leak in 1950s Home?

Post by sharon69954 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi all

Our home was built in 1950s, with an extension built in 80s. Both have always looked fairly well built since we moved in 18 months ago. Recently we took the tiles of the toilet wall in the extension. Ive just noticed a tide mark around the wall about 20 cm high, with mould growing and dampness under the vinyl flooring (small amount of mould but the tide mark damp and mould stretches the length of the toilet out into the utility area). I dont remember seeing this when we took the tiles off so i think its fairly recent (we just got back from holiday). I cant see an obvious leak from the toilet although there is lots of hairline cracks on the outside of it and its very old toilet (original toilet when extension was built). I am worried this is rising damp as i cant see an obvious leak. How likely is rising damp in this type of property or is it more likely to be a leak under the concrete floor? Should i contact insurance company as i do not have mlney for big jobs?

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:42 pm