Roof Leak Fixed or Not After Resealing
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulthelandlord
Labourer
Labourer

Roof Leak Fixed or Not After Resealing

by paulthelandlord » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:07 pm

I had a leak around my chimney. A roofer came out and identified hairline fractures in the lead flashing so coated it and sealed it back in the wall, and cleaned out the valley back and sealed that back in the wall. There hasn’t been a lot of rain since but when up in the loft I can see a few little strips of light coming through around the chimney. The roofer says this isn’t anything to worry about. Is this correct and was the right remedial work performed?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Roof Leak Fixed or Not After Resealing

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi paulthelandlord
If you are looking out to the open edge of stepped flashing you may well see daylight.
Regards S

paulthelandlord
Labourer
Labourer

by paulthelandlord » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:53 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi paulthelandlord
If you are looking out to the open edge of stepped flashing you may well see daylight.
Regards S

Thanks Stoneyboy, by open edge do you mean the vertical element of the stepping? If so I think I understand what you are saying. The flashing on this property seems to step straight down rather than being cut back as you can see in this photo, is that likely to be an issue? Is coating the lead an acceptable repair for lead with hairline fractures?
Attachments
Flashing.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi paulthelandlord
It is good practice for the “vertical” part of the flashing to be cut back at about 60 degrees, this minimises water ingress at the point where the horizontal flange meets the vertical.
I have never seen lead flashing with hairline fractures and I’m not sure what could be applied to these to give long term sealing. Perhaps others on this forum can comment.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:32 pm