Roof truss design for loft conversion
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dan Stewart
Apprentice
Apprentice

Roof truss design for loft conversion

Post by Dan Stewart » Sat May 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi.

I am looking at converting a loft space but I am really struggling to find the right info. The house is a very old cottage in Scotland. The roof trusses are upright at the sides and there is a horizontal truss appox 400mm down from the ridge. My problem is, all the information points to 2.3m height to the ridge, however the ceiling would surely need to be at the height of the supporting horizontal truss? Does anyone know if these trusses can be moved? I assume they are positioned using a calculation to permit maximum strength? The height from the foor joists to the rigde is 2.5m and to the horizontal truss approx 2.1m.

This is very difficult to describe without a photo - so if any expert (or any one else for that matter) is kind enogh to post a reply i would be happy to send them a photo of the arrangement

Thank you[/img][/url][/code]

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue May 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Dan Stewart,
Assuming the trusses were made off site (ie not a bespoke truss built on site) it is very unlikely that you will be able to modify the collar position without reinforcing the roof. I suggest you get a structural engineer to advise you.
end

Dan Stewart
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dan Stewart » Sun May 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks very much Stoney boy for your reply. I will get a proffesional round to cast his eye over it for us!

Thanks again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:46 am