RSJ Support
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

RSJ Support

Post by russellfl » Thu May 01, 2008 10:55 am

Hi,

I have a bungalow that has had a wall knocked out between the living & dining rooms with an archway between the two. The sides of the arch are single brick and about 24" in width. I would like to take them out to make it look like a single room but having checked in the loft void I found that the RSJ finishes about a foot away from the supporting side walls. Can someone tell me firstly what size of pier is required if any or secondly can i get an new RSJ put in to rest on a padstone on the side wallls alone. The span is around 13 feet.

Cheers

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

Post by LCL » Sat May 17, 2008 5:59 pm

russelfl

You caould get a longer stel beam, likely a universal bem or a universal column. You can also put a sreader beam or wide padstone in the external wall to spread the load.

What you most definately need and a structural engineer to design the steel size.

Hope this helps

LCL

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

RSJ Support

Post by russellfl » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:47 am

Thanks LCL, I have now had several local builders out to quote me for the new RSJ but they are giving me conflicting solutions.

Two of them say that the RSJ isn't needed as it's a self supporting roof in the bungalow, and two say it must be there for a reason, though one of them didn't even look into the loft space to verify it. I have now bit the bullet and exposed it by taking all the plasterwork from it. What it is, is a 200mm x 100mm (Catnic) box lintel which has holes all over it to allow for wire clips to support the plastering mesh. With the help of a friend I temporaily took out a single brick one end to see what the weight of it is and found it's no where near as heavy as an RSJ. Could this lintel have been put up just to form the shape of the archway?

Cheers

twhite
Labourer
Labourer

Re: RSJ Support

Post by twhite » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:31 pm

[quote="russellfl"]Thanks LCL, I have now had several local builders out to quote me for the new RSJ but they are giving me conflicting solutions.

Two of them say that the RSJ isn't needed as it's a self supporting roof in the bungalow, and two say it must be there for a reason, though one of them didn't even look into the loft space to verify it. I have now bit the bullet and exposed it by taking all the plasterwork from it. What it is, is a 200mm x 100mm (Catnic) box lintel which has holes all over it to allow for wire clips to support the plastering mesh. With the help of a friend I temporaily took out a single brick one end to see what the weight of it is and found it's no where near as heavy as an RSJ. Could this lintel have been put up just to form the shape of the archway?

Cheers[/quote]

Apologies for hyjacking your thread, but I have a very similar question.

I have a builder in to cut two rooms into one, a very small kitchen and a space which is like a small diner area. The issue is that the wall to be removed used to contain the boiler, and so, has a flue/chimney running through it. It is effecetively the gable end of the property, with the little kitchen area being a small extention off it, which has always been there.

The builder says he can take out the wall and support the masonry above by using a series of three RSJ's of 8" X 4", which, are going to be placed into the internal skin of the walls either side of the room. One side of this inner wall has ample thickness, as it adjoins next door and the walls are thick here, and, appears to have adequate bearing for the RSJ's.
The other wall he intends to place these RSJ's into is the external wall of the house, and, doesn't appear to be the most solid of any brickwork I've ever seen, as the house is over 100 years old.

My ultimate question is this.....

Is the inner skin thickness of the external side of the wall likely to be strong enough to take the load of these three RSJ's..???

Or, should a small pillar be made up and tied into this wall to offer support to the inner skin of this external wall..???

Any help or experienced view would be massively appreciated.

Thank you.

Freeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Freeman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:17 pm

[quote="russellfl"]Thanks LCL, I have now had several local builders out to quote me for the new RSJ but they are giving me conflicting solutions.

Cheers[/quote]

What is the Catnic lintel supporting?

Freeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Freeman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:26 pm

[quote="twhite"]
Apologies for hyjacking your thread, but I have a very similar question.

I have a builder in to cut two rooms into one, a very small kitchen and a space which is like a small diner area. The issue is that the wall to be removed used to contain the boiler, and so, has a flue/chimney running through it. It is effecetively the gable end of the property, with the little kitchen area being a small extention off it, which has always been there.

The builder says he can take out the wall and support the masonry above by using a series of three RSJ's of 8" X 4", which, are going to be placed into the internal skin of the walls either side of the room. One side of this inner wall has ample thickness, as it adjoins next door and the walls are thick here, and, appears to have adequate bearing for the RSJ's.
The other wall he intends to place these RSJ's into is the external wall of the house, and, doesn't appear to be the most solid of any brickwork I've ever seen, as the house is over 100 years old.

My ultimate question is this.....

Is the inner skin thickness of the external side of the wall likely to be strong enough to take the load of these three RSJ's..???

Or, should a small pillar be made up and tied into this wall to offer support to the inner skin of this external wall..???

Any help or experienced view would be massively appreciated.

Thank you.[/quote]

Will the RSJ's be supporting the chimney and the gable end, also what is the span of the RSJ's

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:53 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 am