running mains cable under floorboards
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

running mains cable under floorboards

by GoNz0 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi, i'm about to rewire my house using the local council to inspect and certify the work.

now i'm trying to get this right 1st time round and am wondering about the regs on running the ring mains under the floorboards

the 2 rooms in question downstairs have a good 10 inch gap under the joists, do i run the cables under the joists and support them with clips or do i have to drill through the joists ?

and now to the upstairs.

i have no choice in some places and have to go through the joists, i understand i have to drill halfway down the joist, there 6 or 8 inch joists so the cables will be at least 3 inch down. can i drill the holes at any part of the joist or do you have to make the holes a minimum distance from the walls where there supported, and on top of that do i have to add any additional support to the joists where i make the holes ?

the existing wiring runs in notches on top of the joists, can i reuse these or does it break the latest regs ?

in the room above the consumer unit the boards have been cut back, i have removed the skirting and have a clear view down the side of a joist where a lot of wiring runs, can i follow this route again ?

thanks in advance, G.

GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GoNz0 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:24 am

been doing my homework and have brough a load of Protecta Safe Plate's

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:32 am