Running New Joists Beneath Steel Structure - Can This be Done?
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
allanbrown1968
Labourer
Labourer

Running New Joists Beneath Steel Structure - Can This be Done?

by allanbrown1968 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 am

Hi, can anyone please answer whether I can run new floor joists beneath my newly installed steel beams. I am currently converting my loft into two bedrooms and installing two x ibeams and a centre flitch plate to accommodate my new floor joists, these joists will run alongside the existing ceiling trusses to both provide a new floor plate but also bolted to my existing to hold up my ceiling. As my new beams are going to support the new trusses, I also need the new trusses to carry through into the eaves and the easiest way I would see is the suspend my new trusses below my steel beams with jha hangers on either side, can this be done?

Thanks in anticipation

thedoctor

Re: Running New Joists Beneath Steel Structure - Can This be Done?

by thedoctor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:00 pm

On the face of it, it can be done Allan but only if the structural loading is calculated properly and the "hangers" are suitable for the load they will support. We cannot know,or calculate that from here. The engineer who designed your beams will be able to work out the additionalloading on the beams for you. Please do let us know how you get on.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:03 pm