Rushing water sound from Cold water taps
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrisbourn
Labourer
Labourer

Rushing water sound from Cold water taps

by chrisbourn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:55 am

I have recently fitted a new bathroom suite and find that when the cold water is run either from the tap or by flushing the toilet you literally hear the 'rush' of the water surging through the pipes (it really is far too audible).

Standard 15mm piping was used, replacing the existing pipe immediatly below the basin and bath when they were moved slighlty.

Installed is a standard traditional boiler

Can you offer any suggestion what the problem may be, I have reduced the pressure but you still hear some noise and of course the water then trickles out of the tap. Should I have inslated the pipes? (although no others are)

All other taps in the house work fine and at a normal level of sounds (no rushing noise).

Thanks in advance
Last edited by chrisbourn on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:47 pm

people would need more info
what type of sytem do you have ,combi,gravity,what pipe size did you use, and so on

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:28 am

I think it could be the sound of the tank filling in your loft.

When you turn on the basin taps, the demand for water is less than for your bath, so the tank would not fill has fast and there would be not the noise.

When you turn on the bath taps the demand would be higher and the tank would fill faster and you would then hear the noise.

I would replace the tank ball cock with a new one quiet feeding system.

They’re similar to torbeck valves for toilets, but there designed for larger cold-water loft tanks and cost about £15.

If your bathroom is feeding off the cold mains, let me know.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:03 am