Sabre 29HE Boiler Problem
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gtmills
Labourer
Labourer

Sabre 29HE Boiler Problem

by gtmills » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:13 pm

My Sabre 29HE Boiler broke down at the weekend. Pressure is fine, tried resetting but no joy - getting no hot water or heating - great fun!!

The boiler is just not lighting. Switch on the CH and it goes through its usual processes but stops at teh lighting up bit. The LED starts flashing green which the manual says is a temproray fault - then after a few minutes switches to a solid red whcih teh manaul says is either overheating or primary NTC open/short circuit.

My problem is I've had two people around to look at it and they have given me different reasons for my prblem.

Had British Gas around as part of our Homecar package - diagnosis is the pressure switch - 7 to 10 days order time. Oh and by the way we don't have your boiler on our service list any more so we are cancelling your Homecare agreement bye bye. (Please be aware of this we have had this agreement for two years - anyway that's another issue).

Managed to get anotehr engineer around. His diagnosis is that it is definitely not the pressure switch. You need a new PCB - can't get hold of one - need to order it - another week and very pricey.

Which do I believe? How do I avoid any unecessary expenditure? I obviously need it fixed ASAP as trying to wash/bathe three kids by boiling the kettkle is no fun at all.

Any ideas/thoughts/comments would be very welcome. Thankyou

Gareth

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:59 pm

EITHER WAY YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO WAIT A WEEK.

IF BG WILL REPLACE P. SW. BEFORE KISSING YOU GOODBYE (*******),
THEN LET THEM.(YOUV'E PAID THROUGH THE NOSE FOR IT ANYWAY!!!

ALSO ORDER UP A PCB JUST IN CASE, YOU CAN ALWAYS HOLD IT IN RESERVE IF BG NEED TO RETHINK THEIR DIAGNOSIS OR KEEP FOR FUTURE OR SELL IT ON AUCTION SITE IF NOT NEEDED!

ALDA.

gtmills
Labourer
Labourer

by gtmills » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Part of the rediculous problem is that BG will not provide any service. They have diagnosed a problem - but will not replace it since thay claim they can no longer provide the service since the make/type of boiler is no longer on the service list - our agreement was cancelled there and then and we will be getting a refund of our monthly payments but from when I am trying to sort out with them.

I have sourced a PCB that I can collect tomorrow if necessary - but it is close to £150 plus labour costs on top and don't want to buy it if it is not necessary. It is the contradictory advice that is confusing me. However, the guy who diagnosed this said that he would contact me today with a price for a new PCB and a timescale - no contact as yet - tried ringing him and not answering or returning messages.

I have worked through the testing procedures in the technical manual and I think that the Fan is at fault - but my opinion is probably worthless.

I have another engineer coming around in the morning - maybe third time lucky.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:29 pm

ANY PROGRESS REPORT?

gtmills
Labourer
Labourer

by gtmills » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:29 am

Problem fixed.

Believe it or not fixed it myself with teh help of the Technical helpline. It wasn't the problem diagnosed by either of the engineers.

It turned out to be a partillay blocked Venturi on the air pressure switch on the fan. So my initial diagnosis was sort of correct as it meant the fan wasn't switchng on. Just needed cleaning up a bit and opening up the hole bit by filing teh end at a steeper angle.

The problem was confounded by the fact that one of the engineers when carrying out their checks had put two connections on one of the pressure switches back the wrong way around which took a bit of time to sort out.

Fingers crossed working OK. Thanks for your comments ALDA.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:55 pm

ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1