Safe Removal of Surplus Hangers?
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Martin1946
Labourer
Labourer

Safe Removal of Surplus Hangers?

by Martin1946 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:00 pm

I have two vertical 1 1/2" x 3/4" vertical timbers (hangers?) in the centre of my loft connecting two roof rafters at the apex to ceiling joists; what purpose do/did they serve and can they be removed?. It is not a trussed roof; the bungalow was built in the early 60s. and there are similar (shorter) 1 1/2" x 3/4" hangers between the supporting joists and the rafters approximately 6 feet in from the supporting outer walls; there are substantial horizontal beams supporting the rafters running the length of the bungalow supported by external and internal block walls also 6 feet from the external walls. There are no horizontal cross timbers in the loft. The loft is used for storage only.Advice much appreciated. Thankyou

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Safe Removal of Surplus Hangers?

by stoneyboy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi martin1946
More details starting with a picture is needed.
Regards S

Martin1946
Labourer
Labourer

by Martin1946 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks for responding to my query.
I have attached four photos as requested.

Photo 1 shows how "flimsy" the wooden post is.

Photo 2 shows where it is attached to one of the uppermost roof timbers which run the length of the bungalow

Photo 3 shows the wooden post from top to bottm; it is attached to thye central floor joist running the length of the bungalow ( The flooring is on loft legs)

Photo 4 shows the shorter side hangers;thes do NOT flex like the two cnetre ones whichcan be moved 1/2" sideways. I intend to leave the side hangers in place.

Thankyou for taking the trouble to reply.

Martin
Attachments
loft four.jpg
loft three.jpg
loft two.jpg
loft one.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:37 pm

Hi martin1946
They are far too small to be structural, the centre ones were probably a temporary support used during construction. The side ones look like a later addition but again not structural.
Regards S

Martin1946
Labourer
Labourer

by Martin1946 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:13 pm

Thanks so much for your quick response. It means I can remove the two centre ones. I will leave the side ones as I will be putting some boards up to stop storage items getting pushed onto the unboarded areas.

Thanks and take care.
Martin

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:51 pm