Safe to Turn off Gate Valve to Indirect Cylinder?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jen1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

Safe to Turn off Gate Valve to Indirect Cylinder?

Post by Jen1979 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:20 pm

My boyfriend lives in a council flat (block). He doesn't have a boiler in the flat but there is a tank. I'm guess it's an indirect cylinder from watching YouTube vids (there's no power switch that I can see like my immersion heater at home). Problem is its boiling hot all the time, so the flat is really hot. He called the council to have a look and they said the thermostat is broken and said to turn the pipe going into the tank off...It's a green wheel thing (gate valve?) and says open/shut on it (BS5154, 198Degrees C, hattersley, England). (There are a few pipes). Is it safe to turn the green one off? Also what is it? I'd love to understand. Thanks.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Safe to Turn off Gate Valve to Indirect Cylinder?

Post by lets have a look » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:27 am

wow that's an old valve and one of the best makes, without a photo I can only presume,is there an immersion heater with a cable coming from it in the top or side,I can't imagine what's to be gained by turning it off except that you probably won't get any water from the hot tap,excessive boiling water can be dangerous so really you want to run some off,you need a plumber to identify the problem and fix it.

Jen1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jen1979 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:50 am

Thank you for your reply. Yes 3 different workmen(plumbers presumably) have been over so far and each time they leave saying someone else needs to come and look at it. The last one turned the valve off which just concerned me a bit as I want to ensure it's safe for it to be turned off when the tank is still really hot. (Is the tank powered somehow? There's no switch that I can find). So yes, now there's no hot water. But is that safe? A super hot tank and the valve off? These are my concerns but it's my boyfriends flat (& he isn't able to get a clear answer). Apparently someone else is going to come over in a day or two and replace the broken thermistat (which is presumably what the tank is boiling hot and the flat is also boiling hot). My concern is really in the meantime if it's safe as it is with the valve off to the very hot tank (which could be being powered somehow?). Perhaps I'm worrying about nothing.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Post by lets have a look » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:01 pm

I'm totally confused to why anyone should turn off the gate valve but it's as good as safe as the hot water cylinder has a vent,on top of the cylinder where the pipe comes out there's a tee,one pipe goes straight up this is the vent and the other feeds your hot water taps,you say there's no boiler or immersion heater,I would have asked if there's children in the flat if not I would have left the valve open but warned that the water could be scalding and to have a bath or occasionally run the hot water,there's some info missing here,why didn't they do a first time fix ???????????

Jen1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jen1979 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 pm

Fantastic thank you! No idea in regard to the fix! Such a waste of everyone's time. Hopefully next visit it'll actually get done! At least I know it shouldn't in itself be dangerous. Thank you very much.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Post by lets have a look » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:22 pm

Just wondering if you have a back boiler situated behind a gas fire

Jen1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jen1979 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:38 pm

No I don't think so.

Jen1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jen1979 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:10 pm

The saga continues! Someone has been out and fitted a thermostat. The thermostat has been set to zero for the past 30hrs but the tank and pipes are still boiling hot. Not just hot, boiling hot and the flat is still boiling hot because of it. I'll try running some water off tonight....any other ideas? Thanks.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Post by lets have a look » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:23 am

you must find out and tell us what is the source for heating up the hot water and heating

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1