Salt in driveway brickwork
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Linus
Labourer
Labourer

Salt in driveway brickwork

by Linus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Can anyone please help. Had a new driveway laid two years ago which looked excellent - but I've spoiled it. Over the winter and snow/ice I laid manufacturers salt (rocksalt?) over the black bricks so that no-one would slip. Great mistake. Now the bricks are drying out there are large patches of white down the driveway, which I have been told is the salt (that sunk into the bricks) coming back out. Of course I've tried to clear the salt mess with jet power washes but am now told not to use water. So - can anybody please, please help me get rid of this eyesore.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Salt in driveway brickwork

by welsh brickie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:38 pm

just brush it off, it will eventually disappear with rain and sun but it will take a while, there is no quick fix

Linus
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Salt in driveway brickwork

by Linus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks welsh brickie for your very quick reply. Brushed the white salt areas today and was amazed at the white 'cloud' coming off the bricks. All white patches now seem to be coming together to make a couple of large masses. Don't think I've got the strength or elbow grease to continue - looks like I'm going to have to employ a brickie or equivalent with strength in their arms! Thanks once again. Will just have to be patient and pretend the white areas aren't there.

Linus

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:45 pm