salty, mouldy walls??
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
amy
Labourer
Labourer

salty, mouldy walls??

by amy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:25 pm

Hi,

I own a basement flat thats been damp proofed, apparently?? But I am still having real roblems with salty, mouldy walls, they keep saying this is normal, but it cant be, can it? It was done a year ago in the summer and with the rain now is getting worse, should I get a second opinion?

Thanks

Amy

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:34 am

Hi,

I own a basement flat thats been damp proofed, apparently?? But I am still having real roblems with salty, mouldy walls, they keep saying this is normal, but it cant be, can it? It was done a year ago in the summer and with the rain now is getting worse, should I get a second opinion?

Thanks

Amy
Hi amy, you dont say how your flat was damp proofed, is this recently or some thing was is part of the original flat construction. Basement flats are prone to damp unfortunatley. Are the damp patches high on your walls or quite low down?...damp on the lower walls suggests a problem with the flats damp proof course, higher up suggests problems with either a water leak or problems with the pointing on the outside brick work or a bad seal around your windows. Its always good to get several professional opinions on problems like this. Dont be scared into getting expensive work done though. Hope this helps.

amy
Labourer
Labourer

by amy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:16 pm

thanks for the advice, the proofing was apparently done with the conversion before I moved in by the builders and its guarenteed but they dont seem to think anythings wrong with it or want to help put it right. I know it will always be a problem as parts of the flat where its worse are underground.. the damp seems to be central to the wall??

pablo2
Tradesman
Tradesman

by pablo2 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:54 pm

Hi

have you checked your deeds for the guarantee ? most flats have a maintinance fund / committe ask them or inform the builder that you are having an independant survey most companies will call out and be able to t4est the wall with a meter for damp they should then advise you .

Pablo

dcmoore
Ganger
Ganger

FREE ADVICE

by dcmoore » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:09 pm

Take a look at any one of our damp projects and ring the phone number for Property Repair Systems. They give free, no obligation advice and we recommend them. They will tell you what you need to do (if anything) and will also be able to supply you with anything you need to do it with but will certainly not try to sell you anything you don't need

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:50 am