Sealing chimneys
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SimonFJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sealing chimneys

by SimonFJ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:20 pm

I am in the middle of renovating a Victorian property dated around 1880. There are seven fireplaces, all almost perfectly preserved, including the hearth, surrounds, tiles and cast iron 'bits'. At the top there is a hinged sheet of metal a couple of which are broken. When I opened these, in most cases a bucket full of dust and the occasional half a brick fell onto the hearth, presumably from where the previous owner had simply left them.

I would like to clean the existing fireplaces, including all the items set out above, but not use the fireplaces. To do this, what advice can you give in terms of blocking off the chimney which protects the chimney itself and avoids potential damp problems (which are prevalent elsewhere in the property) and ensures that I can enjoy these well preserved fireplaces?

Many thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:35 pm

SimonFJ,
All the chimneys need trickle ventilation, replace the throat plates that are broken and wedge all of them in a partly open position (20mm gap on opening edge)
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:49 pm

"To do this, what advice can you give in terms of blocking off the chimney"

Don't do it!

But seriously what you have collected is bits of chimney liner, soot, dirt etc of ages. That will continue to come down even after the chimney has been swept. You MUST keep the chimney ventilated or you WILL get damp issues.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:00 am