Semi detached Hip to gable conversion for house then hip roof for 2m extension
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
james's
Labourer
Labourer

Semi detached Hip to gable conversion for house then hip roof for 2m extension

by james's » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:02 pm

ok so here goes, il try explain as best as i can. My head is a bit battered at the moment

I have a 1920 semi detached house with a hip roof. Ive built a double side extension (2m wide) that’s currently at eaves level. We have decided to make space of the large loft space and convert it so Ive recently applied for change of roof, we put in for a continuous roof with the 2 hips starting at the start of the extension (external wall of the original house). The idea was to completely strip out the traditional cut roof, install steal ridge beam and re build with 6x2 and get rid of the purlins, this would of gave us plenty of space for the bedroom and bathroom. However the council are not supporting this at all, they want a dropped ridge so that means an extra hip and valley at the front which massively cuts off head height internally.

Im aware a hip to gable conversion is covered under PD, how would planners react if i lodged an application changing the original house roof to a gable and then building a hip roof on the 2m wide x 8m extension that would tie into the side of the new gable wall.

Im thinking it wouldn’t be as simple as that for some reason, maybe because i have an extension being built at the moment, Is timing an issue.I.e would i have to convert the house roof before i changed the current application for the extension roof.

I do plan to put a dormer on the back under PD but ive not informed the council about that yet, they are being arsey as it is

Massive thank you to anyone who takes the time to offer me some advice or tips to get around this.

The pink dashed lines indicates gable conversion

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Semi detached Hip to gable conversion for house then hip roof for 2m extension

by stoneyboy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:24 pm

Hi James's,
There doesn't appear to be a drawing with your question which makes it difficult to answer.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1