Semi-Detached Roof and Best Type of Bonding Gutter?
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
Radley6
Labourer
Labourer

Semi-Detached Roof and Best Type of Bonding Gutter?

Post by Radley6 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:20 am

Hi All,

Please can any roofers advise on which type of bonding gutter is best to join a new roof and the old roof on neighboring semi-detached properties?

Arrived home tonight to find a skip on the front garden and scaffolding up at the semi adjoining my house. House has recently been sold, haven't met the neighbours and they've not moved in yet. I assume they are going to have their roof replaced tomorrow, but haven't bothered to contact me.

My roof is fine and has no issues at all. Neither roof has been replaced before, so there is currently no bonding gutter.

Searching online, I understand a bonding gutter will need to be fitted with the new roof. As far as I can tell, the best option seems to be a pre-formed dry fix bonding gutter with a central upstand because, unlike a standard flat bonding gutter, this doesn't require any mortar to be used, which, unless applied carefully, can block the drainage channels under the tiles, and will eventually crack and fail anyway as the mortar weathers and the tiles expand and contract.

Obviously, I'm concerned about potential damage to my roof, or a poor job resulting in water leaking in on my side in the future, so is the best option I should insist on a dry fix gutter with an upstand?

I intend to ask the roofers when they arrive what they're planning to do, so is there anything else I should also be asking / checking on about the the felt / lining / overlap or anything else please?

I'd be really grateful for any responses - especially quick ones as I assume they're going to turn up first thing in the morning!

Thanks very much for any help.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:56 am