Shower isolator switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
johnnyp
Labourer
Labourer

Shower isolator switch

Post by johnnyp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:32 pm

Hello All,

I am renovating bathroom for a mate. Replacing electric shower, isolator switch is hanging in shower cubicle, is this allowed in new Reg's.
I have done a few electric showers in past and put isolator pull on opposite wall. I have also used switch to power extractor fan, no doubt this is wrong too!
Any ideas / tips?
GREAT SITE - A CREDIT TO ALL!!

Thanks

Johnnyp

rflight
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by rflight » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:01 pm

No, switch should not be hanging in the cubicle, the extract should not be fed from the shower cicuit and i don't think you are qualified to carry out this work. You seem to know that what you are doing is wrong, do you not care about the consequences of causing a fire or electrocuting somebody :(

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:22 pm

NOOOOO. Inside the cubicle it is in Zone 1 depending on ceiling height - are you barmy? Isolator outside the room.

Is the current cable sized correctly for the new shower? Is it on it's own RCD?

Yes fan should have separate supply.

Special Location = qualified Part P Sparks required. Better get one in.

These aren't new regulations BTW.

Cheers

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:36 am

BR_PDF_ADP_2006-Part-P-regs.pdf the down loadable Part P regs shows the fan on the lighting circuit. Everything needs bonding with min of 4mm together there are zones and special requirements even for the cord used on any pull cord. You will need something to prove you are qualified to do the work i.e. city & guilds and inform the building control before you start works and either test yourself or get it tested with earth loop impedance testers etc with traceable records i.e. can't borrow off work as you would not be able to trace when it was last and next tested. In real terms you can't do it.

johnnyp
Labourer
Labourer

Post by johnnyp » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Hello All,
Thanks for prompt replies.
Yes I thought switch in cubicle was wrong but mate had it that way last 25 years !
Correct cable mcb/rcbo, conections,switch used. I think spark will be looking over it at some point in near future.

Again thanks for advice/guidance, ALL noted.

THANKS

johnnyp

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:39 pm

"I think spark will be looking over it at some point in near future."

But it's still notifiable being in a "special location" and he can't certify your work - only his own!

Cheers

john_g
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by john_g » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:29 am

You [b]don't[/b] have to prove your competence to carry out Part P notifiable work.
See our project on Building Regulations and click through to the planning portal website. You can find this information there.
You do have to notify Building Control prior to starting the work and pay their fee. They will test your installation when complete and (if you do it right!) issue a certificate.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:00 pm

johng

I agree totally but firstly that can be an expensive option and as I understand it, the BCO is not permitted to give you the same certificate that a Part P qualified sparker can. He can only give you a bit of paper to say he inspected it.

Cheers

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm