Shower pumps
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gordonscott
Labourer
Labourer

Shower pumps

Post by gordonscott » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 am

Having finished decorating our bathroom, the wife has asked that I change the instant heat shower for one with more pressure i.e a pump.
Is this possible? as I always thought that a pump only worked with mixer showers.
Any ideas of how to do this?do I put the pump in line along the cold water pipe? - some access to the pipes is possible and no I am not going to rip down a glass tiled wall!

Many thanks

zark
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Shower pumps

Post by zark » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:43 pm

By 'instant heat shower' i presume you mean a heater and pump in one, connected to the mains cold water? If so - your best (and easiest) option is to consider fitting a higher kW unit... (after checking the wiring/fuse can cope!)

i'm not sure that boosting the mains pressure to an instant heater will help at all, as the shower will still restrict the flow to ensure the water is heated. More heat usually = less flow!

The triton T40 (or similar) is a wall mounted pump only that'll boost the flow from your mixer tap up to a riser rail/shower head... Or there are pumps that'll fit under your bath to boost flow, but may require alterations to your existing pipes...

Does that help at all?

gordonscott
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gordonscott » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:09 pm

Zark - thanks for your note.
I checked up ona different site and apparantly you are not allowed to put a pump onto the cold water mains pipe due to the possibility of negative pressure and drawing dirty water into your cold water system.
Your point about increased flow from the pump meaning less heat is a good one - had not thought of that one - although with a Mira Sport at 10kW I would have just turned the control a bit more.
I could fix a mixer shower and pump - again and have to redo the wall so I think we are leftwith the shower units that we have....
On to the next job - replacing gutters above a pitched roof, without scaffolding. Fortunately as a climber I have all the ropes!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:24 pm