shower wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dave6953
Apprentice
Apprentice

shower wiring

Post by dave6953 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:01 pm

hi can someone help with shower electrics, from the mains unit to the pull cord is 10m,from the pull cord to the shower unit is 6m is this a problem. thank you.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi Dave,
cable size depends on the power of your shower, if cable is grouped with other cables along it's route, the route the cable takes(ie through thermal insulation) and protective device being used.
Then we can calculate size of cable from CU to Shower via shower isolator.
Installing a shower within a bath/shower room is notifiable work under part p of building regs or should be done by registered electrician(domestic installers scheme) if not notified.
KB

dave6953
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dave6953 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:08 am

[quote="kbrownie"]Hi Dave,
cable size depends on the power of your shower, if cable is grouped with other cables along it's route, the route the cable takes(ie through thermal insulation) and protective device being used.
Then we can calculate size of cable from CU to Shower via shower isolator.
Installing a shower within a bath/shower room is notifiable work under part p of building regs or should be done by registered electrician(domestic installers scheme) if not notified.
KB[/quote]hi "kbrownie"
the shower is a 9.5kw and the cable 10m runs on its own to a wall switch in the airing cupboard and from there to the pullcord 45amp,from there the cable 6m to the shower about 2mtrs.thank you.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 am

and what does the wall switch do and what rating is it?

dave6953
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dave6953 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:35 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]and what does the wall switch do and what rating is it?[/quote] kb the wall switch was the isolator by the look of it and a pull cord was added on,I don't know the rating,please ignore my ignorance but the switch is a big white box with a red switch with a neon light.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:13 am

[/quote] kb the wall switch was the isolator by the look of it and a pull cord was added on,I don't know the rating,please ignore my ignorance but the switch is a big white box with a red switch with a neon light.[/quote]
Sounds like a shower/cooker isolator, this should be okay if rated at 45amps.
Your design current is aprox 41 amps so breaker size should be 45 amps for shower to be offered correct power. If cable not grouped of in thermal insulation as covered above posts, 6mm cable will carry 46amp. So your just within it's capacity.
This circuit should be protected by an RCD or RCBO, the fitting of these and the installation of the shower is deemed to be notifiable work.
Which i've already mentioned previously, but please do take noitce of that fact.
KB

dave6953
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dave6953 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:28 am

[quote="kbrownie"][/quote] kb the wall switch was the isolator by the look of it and a pull cord was added on,I don't know the rating,please excuse my ignorance but the switch is a big white box with a red switch with a neon light.[/quote]
Sounds like a shower/cooker isolator, this should be okay if rated at 45amps.
Your design current is aprox 41 amps so breaker size should be 45 amps for shower to be offered correct power. If cable not grouped of in thermal insulation as covered above posts, 6mm cable will carry 46amp. So your just within it's capacity.
This circuit should be protected by an RCD or RCBO, the fitting of these and the installation of the shower is deemed to be notifiable work.
Which i've already mentioned previously, but please do take noitce of that fact.
KB[/quote][quote] KB thank you so much for your advice,I very much appreciate it best wishes.dave6953.[/quote]

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:15 am