Single Oven
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jdg199
Labourer
Labourer

Single Oven

by jdg199 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:03 pm

Simple question: can ALL single electric ovens under 3000w be connected by just connecting a normal 13amp plug?

Detailed: our current, old oven connects to a normal plug socket behind the appliance. We bought a new oven from currys but the electrician we hired to install it said that it was too powerful for our kitchen circuit (at 3100w). We have since decided on the Neff B14M42N0GB which has a max power load of 2800w. 2800/230 < 13amp so in my mind it is fine to wire to a normal plug. However, a number of the websites that sell this product say "Must be hard wired". But I can't work out why that would be? We've already had a nightmare buying and returning one oven to Currys so I want to be sure that if we settle on this one then we'll definitely be able to use it!!

Please can you set me straight!?

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:03 am

Its only a personal preference, but i have seen so many appliances like ovens & fires plugged into 13amp plugs that have got quite hot to the feel & have been borderline to something more serious happening.
Your 2.8kw oven is at around 12.17amps, so you can see how close it is to the 13amp max. I would personally have it on its own circuit. But at worse & if its possible, have a fused spur above the work top with a hard wire connection at low level.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:55 pm