Single skin porch with polycarb roof - add radiator?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bpbpbp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Single skin porch with polycarb roof - add radiator?

by bpbpbp » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:00 am

Hi,

If I add a radiator to my porch to try and prevent interior mould, it would only run on the rest of the house CH timing, which is about 4hrs in winter evenings, 1hr winter mornings, hardly used at all 6 months through summer.

Does this mean it is not much use having an extra rad in porch, or is that enough to keep it warm and dry? The porch is rendered on the outside with adequate drainage all round, rendered on the inside but this is showing mould. There are two glazed doors and a pine interior door to house, so I should also replace pine door with exterior door and frame.

Long term I want to replace porch with a more traditional single door pitched porch.

Thanks!
Attachments
porch copy.png

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Single skin porch with polycarb roof - add radiator?

by ericmark » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:26 pm

The question is could it freeze? Traditionally we fit a frost stat to coldest part of the property to ensure before pipes freeze the heating switches on.

I remember my dad wiping lead pipes in my great aunt's house after they froze, in the pre-central heating days, as she had not lit a fire in that part of the house.

I remember frost on the windows oh feeling cold thinking about it, and we still have one unheated room in the house, the utility room, but enough heat goes through the walls from kitchen and shower room to stop water freezing in the room.

I suppose we could add antifreeze to the water, but in real terms only inhibitor is added, putting the radiator in a box with a fan you can protect the radiator and have it always hot when heating running, i.e. the fan assisted radiator, so there are ways around the problem, but years ago outside taps would freeze quite often but today it seems not as cold.

bpbpbp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Single skin porch with polycarb roof - add radiator?

by bpbpbp » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:30 pm

Good point, it could freeze.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1