Skimming / Door Lining Questions
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PowerToolAddict
Labourer
Labourer

Skimming / Door Lining Questions

by PowerToolAddict » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:19 pm

I'm looking to re skim my hallway downstairs and upstairs. It was covered in wallpaper which I have stripped back to the plaster (brick walls) with a view to painting. I have also removed all the architraves and skirting which I want to replace.

I know a lot of people will advise to get a plasterer/carpenter in, but it's something I just want to do as it's my first house for a sense of achievement. I'm not concerned about how long it takes (over multiple weeks or even months), just that it's done properly without cutting any corners.

So having stripped the walls and architraves I see a few problems.

With the interior door linings, they are currently flush to the existing plaster. When I skim then the plaster will then be a few mm proud of the lining. If I change the door lining then I'll also need to cater for the other side of the wall in the bedrooms - areas I was looking to re skim at some point in the future but not now.

The door linings are in a bit of a state too - doors hung multiple times in different places and the batons not nailed on square. I have also noticed that the top of one of the door linings is not horizontal - one side is above the other. Above the doors is just platerboard too - hollow - which I don't particularly like but I guess it would be too much effort to change with little return?

My ideas:
- Router the new architraves to fit the current lining and re-skimmed plaster (doesn't fix my door linings and feels like a "bodge")
- Replace the door linings now and do the bedrooms at the same time (something I was hoping to avoid)

Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Many thanks!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:41 am

PowerToolAddict,
Glue and pin a thin piece of timber onto the face of the lining to give you the required depth for plastering. Correct other problems by filling.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:30 am