Skirting radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tooly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Skirting radiators

Post by tooly » Sun May 03, 2009 4:45 am

I'm at a point in renovation's to change from a normal wall radiator to skirting board radiators in one room. The theory read's good but do'es any one have any advice or knowledge if they are any use as an alternative to a standard radiator. I want clear walls, this is the reason for a change to maybe skirting rad's.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun May 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Never installed them or used them, but if you get the heat requirements for the room correct, and purchase the correct size/amount of emitters - whether you fit a radiator or the skirting board radiator they'll both do the same job.

The only down side is that it'll probably be at least 3x the amount of a standard radiator.

Unlike some people I don't think radiators look bad, ugly etc if:

They're hung at the right height (they do look out of place and do spoil a room if hung too low or too high),

The pipework looks good (neat, formed pipe/bend pipe to shape, not fittings).

And is new or painted with radiator enamel (definately DO NOT use gloss paint, sometimes they are given many many coats)

Then in my opinion they do not spoil a room or look untidy.

DiscreteHeat - Thermaskirt does look good, and may take off big style - but no personal experience here, it's all down to personal choice, if you want to spend the extra money then go for it.

I would try it in my house if needed (maybe in the conservatory).

The best bet would be to find someone that had some experience of using or installing this system

htg

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun May 03, 2009 3:44 pm

"definately DO NOT use gloss paint"

I'm going to be serious this time. Why not? Gloss can be used quite happily IMHO. One major problem that usually occurs is that peeps undercoat it first. Undercoat isn't flexible and cracks in due time which then ruins the gloss. Gloss, which is flexible, straight onto a keyed, clean rad surface and it'll be fine.

"sometimes they are given many many coats)"

Agree but then so is some woodwork and any surface in that condition will look no good.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun May 03, 2009 9:33 pm

Gloss on radiators looks crap - simple as.

'If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing properly' - use radiator enamel.

htg

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun May 03, 2009 10:26 pm

"Gloss on radiators looks rubbish - simple as."

Only if its not done properly and I'll grant a lot of DIYers won't - neither will they be able to apply radiator enamel properly either. Don't blame the product because the operative is incompetant.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon May 04, 2009 11:54 am

I'm not blaming the product or the operative, it's my opinion - which I am entitled to.

htg

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon May 04, 2009 12:12 pm

Your going all luddite on me again. If its done properly you can't tell the difference and it takes 2 - 3 x as long to take the radiator enamel route.

If its your opinion that you don't like the look of it thats fine ad I'm not going to argue with you over that.

However, thats quite different to saying using gloss is not a proper way to do it as in an earlier post. In a purely technical sense there is nothing improper about using gloss paint or eggshell on a radiator so it would be bad advice to say it is.

Cheers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1