Sleeving Red and Black Cable for new Consumer Unit in new Garage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
archie441
Labourer
Labourer

Sleeving Red and Black Cable for new Consumer Unit in new Garage

Post by archie441 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:45 am

hi all..

i am a diyer and installing a new CU into a new garage adjoining my house which will be run from a spare 32a rcd on the main house CU, i have applied for a part p inspection through the local building control office, my question is..
can i use an existing old black & red 16mm t&e (was to previous concrete garage) as long as i heat shrink/sleeve the ends in new blue & brown ?

many thanks for you advice..

archie..

thedoctor

Re: Sleeving Red and Black Cable for new Consumer Unit in new Garage

Post by thedoctor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:28 am

Any new circuit (post 2006) has to be completed in new colours I'm afraid Archie. It is very unlikely to be approved if done in red & black. Realistically anyone can come along and sheath the ends of cables to give the "appearance" of a new installation so full cable needs to be installed in the new colours with the connection made in an accessible junction box.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:13 am

Yes OK to sleeve. There was a big discussion over the over sleeving of an earth wire when using three core flex for items like cistern thermostats some thing which I would have considered a big no. But the Electrical safety council has it on there web site that even this is OK. With singles no not permitted but with twin and earth yes no problem with line and neutral to over sleeve. You could not over sleeve the bare cable to be anything but earth because it's not insulated the line and neutral is no problem.

However twin and earth cable in for inside use only so unless the garage is attached to the house in some way then twin and earth is not suitable it really does not matter what colour it is.

Cables used outside are normally black to resist UV from the sun. Normal would be SWA cable but there are other options.

archie441
Labourer
Labourer

Post by archie441 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:11 am

many thanks for your replies.. the garage is attached and i will post how i get on..paul..

archie441
Labourer
Labourer

Post by archie441 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:28 am

thanks for the replies.. i have applied for part p testing so i will let you know how i get on.. archie..

archie441
Labourer
Labourer

Post by archie441 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:03 pm

hi.. i applied for a part p test and was given the contact details of the person who would be testing, i rang him and he was happy for me to use red & black 16mm t&e and said he would put a sticker on the consumer unit stating there was mixed red, black, brown and blue cables inside..

thanks for all the advice..

paul..

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:09 pm