Sloping floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fat_mike
Labourer
Labourer

Sloping floor

Post by fat_mike » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:45 am

Hi all
I live in a first floor flat in a victoriian house conversion. I'm doing my kitchen very soon but the floor slopes toward the side of the house (it's an end terrace) the sloping difference is about 10cm/4inches from one end to the other. The size of the kitchen is 3m x 2m.

I'd rather not use screading and ripping up the floorboards and batoning the joists is too expensive.

what other options do i have or ideas.

many thanks

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Your floor

Post by Joiner_Mike » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi
Im finding it hard to build up a picture in my head.
Is the kitchen open plan or a room?
Why screed floorboards?
Lifting all the floorboads and packing out joists accordingly sounds allot of work. Hard to say without seeing the space to visualise what way it could be done to give a finish that looked right.
If its a room i would put in a raised floor. Say raise it 6" If the room was falling on the 3m run. Get the builders yard to cut each length of timber to exact length then rip it down so the 6"x2" was 6" at one end and 2" at the other. So when you lay them down and fit plywood on top it will level it out. This would mean you would have a step at the kitchen door which you step up to get into the kitchen. The height difference over approx 30" (Door opening) wouldn't be highly noticable from hallway. You could even make a feature out of it by fitting lights into the step.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:20 pm