Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bebetto
Labourer
Labourer

Slow Filling Cistern

by Bebetto » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help with a little problem I'm having. After flushing, my toilet cistern is very slow to refill. It does refill eventually, but it takes a really long time.

Sometimes after flushing, if I turn the bath taps on and off, the cistern fills up at normal speed, but this doesn't work every time.

This is my cistern with the lid off so you can see what type it is

This is my cistern with lid off
This is my cistern with lid off
IMG_1814.jpg (8.78 KiB) Viewed 28526 times

And this is a valve to the left of my cistern

Valve to left of Cistern
Valve to left of Cistern
IMG_1816.jpg (7.63 KiB) Viewed 28526 times

When the cistern is filling slowly, water trickles from this valve. But when it is filling at normal speed, the water comes from elsewhere. I have to say I'm not sure exactly where is is coming from(how embarrassing!) the best I can make out is it is coming from the bottom of the valve/ballcock arrangement to the left.

Any help for someone who isn't too great with these things (as you'd probably guessed by my descriptions!) is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

ShowerTech
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Slow Filling Cistern

by ShowerTech » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 pm

You might try removing the valve and cleaning the components first.
Make sure you turn off the isolating valve (water supply) to the toilet before you remove anything.
Replacement internal mechanisms are not too expensive, your local plumbers merchant will advise you what you need if you take in the existing flush mechanism. It should be cheaper and better quality from a plumbers merchant, rather than going to one of the big DIY chains.

benblacker
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Slow Filling Cistern

by benblacker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:11 pm

mine started having filling issue the other day :( and i watched a youtube video https://youtu.be/JyMw11SeLMs but i just thought the inlet thing was all the same size so off to wicks i went but ended up buying the wrong size inlet so i would take it out 1st and take it with you to where ever to make sure you have the right size

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:01 am