Small apartment soundproofing tips
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
newbuy
Labourer
Labourer

Small apartment soundproofing tips

Post by newbuy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:50 am

I've just purchased an extremely small apartment (390sq ft) and recently moved in to discover that I can hear absolutely everything from my neighbours on all sides of me and above me. I'd appreciate any advice on how to sound proof my walls and ceiling without taking away any of the minimal space I already have. i.e. rather than a thick wall solution is there anything like a thin sheet or paint that's as effective that can be put onto walls etc. ? I can also hear everthing coming from the corridor outside my front door and welcome any suggestions on soundproofing the door area. At this stage cost isn't an issue as this is all about peace of mind in my new home and I'm willing to pay for privilege of a noise free environment.

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:29 pm

See the soundproofing projects

newbuy
Labourer
Labourer

Post by newbuy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:43 pm

Thanks for that advice. I've just looked at the DIY projects site and wondered about the info below

'2Kg High Performance Acoustic Membrane that is more efficient than a sheet of lead at blocking sound transmission. Rated at 22dB an only 1.2mm thick it's easy to work with, easy to cut, and easy to install.'

It sounds great but I'm wondering is this one of the more expensive solutions and also can you paint with normal paint over it? Also can you use it on walls and ceilings?

The other thing I wanted to ask and couldn't find it in the DIY projects (but perhaps I'm not looking right) is sound proofing the door and door area

AGG716
Labourer
Labourer

APARTMENT BLOCK

Post by AGG716 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:59 am

I LIVE IN A FIRST FLOOR APARTMENT CONSTRUCTED AND COMPLETED IN 2005 AND HAVE CARPETED FLOORS OVER TIMBER CHIPBOARD, SOME SORT OF INSULATION AND BLOCK AND BEAM.
THE OWNER BELOW ME, GROUND FLOOR HAS LAMINATE FLOORS THROUGHOUT AND HAS A 52" T.V. I CAN HEAR EVERTHING HE WATCHES, ALL THE MUSIC HE PLAYS AND ALSO HIS CONVERSATIONS.
IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. I HAVE ASKED HIM TO KEEP HIS NOISE DOWN BUT HE WAS TOLD BY THE DEVELOPERS THAT THE APARTMENTS ARE ACOUSTICALLY SOUND. THERE NOT. WOULD THERE BE A PROBLEM WITH THE SOUND INSULATION BETWEEN FLOORS AND SHOULD I CONTACT THE DEVELOPERS ABOUT THIS. :roll:

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:49 am