Smell of sewage coming from cooker
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mitchvon
Labourer
Labourer

Smell of sewage coming from cooker

by mitchvon » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:13 pm

For the last 4 days there has been a sewage like smell coming from the area around the cooker in my kitchen.
It is very specific where it is strongest - which is the 1/2 inch gap between the (electric) oven and the (gas) hob. It is a strong smell similar to sewage/human waste. Near the floor there is not so bad a smell or above the hob but the kitchen is generally smelling bad. The only thing that reduces the smell is when i put the oven on for at least 10 mins.. it then seems to smell almost normal. Our upstairs toilet flushes down a pipe that is on the outside of the house passing the area where the cooker is, but that pipe looks fine.It's a complete mystery to me what it could be. I'm thinking if it was anything to do with actual sewers the smell would come through the kitchen sink - but that is fine. There is no problem anywhere else in the house; toilet/bath/sinks are all fine. As it is an integrated oven I am not able to just pull it out. Has anyone any idea what this could be or if not, who should i get round to investigate; a gas engineer, a plumber, ?

willie gas
Apprentice
Apprentice

by willie gas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:43 pm

hi it could be a gas leak, call your gas suplier they will arrange for your local gas transporter to call & check, there visit will be free. best to be safe, they provide this 24 hours...

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:47 pm

The fact you say the toilet waste does pass this point, there could be a break in the pipe below ground.

It has been known for floor voids to fill with toilet waste, i'd remove cooker and check condition of walls and floor any signs of staining or damp - you need to investigate further.

You could try not using the upstairs toilet for abit and see if it improves.

htg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:47 am