Smell of smoking from next door
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Iestyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Smell of smoking from next door

by Iestyn » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:38 pm

We live in a 30's semi and we have a problem with the smell of cigarette and pipe smoke from next door coming through to our bedrooms. I am at a loss as to what we can do to stop the smell. There are no apparent gaps or airbricks in the chimney etc. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

mitchellpm
Labourer
Labourer

by mitchellpm » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:04 pm

I have had the same problem which i have corrected by lifting the floorboards next to the adjoining wall. There where gaps around the floor joists into the wall cavity. I sealed all the gaps with mortar which has sorted it. Hope this helps.

Muppet Queen
Labourer
Labourer

by Muppet Queen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:41 pm

I live on the top floor of a 3-floor victorian house converted into flats. There's a communally-owned stairwell up to the first floor but then the upper flights of stairs are enclosed within my flat which is on split levels. The people on the ground floor smoke very heavily, and they usually open their door to let all the stale smoke out into the communal hallway & stairwell. It builds up there in this enclosed space and it has nowhere to go except for working its way up into my flat. I've put rubber draft excluder sealant strips round my door and they help a bit but they come loose and i'm constantly replacing them. Would replacing my door with a fire door help? Is there anything I can do with the stairs to block the smell coming up? Any advice welcome!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:29 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:18 pm