SMOKING/BUZZING SHOWER - please help!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
resimpson
Labourer
Labourer

SMOKING/BUZZING SHOWER - please help!

by resimpson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:09 am

I have just switched on my Triton T80 shower and almost straight away it started to make a buzzing noise and then smoke came out the bottom. I turned if off on the unit, and by the cord switch. Now, if I pull the cord again it buzzes.

What has happened? Is my flat going to burn down in the night? How much will it cost to replace? Do I call a plumber or an electrican? What cheap/reliable shower unit do you recommend?

Please help, woman in distress! thank-you

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:54 pm

The shower is knackered - you need a new one.

Cheap and reliable don't go together
Mira are the best (my opinion) but not cheap - well worth the money though.

You need a plumber and probably an electrician - unless the plumber can do the electrics. Or you can find an electrician that'll do plumbing.

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:33 pm

The unit has failed internally, and probably can't be mended. Get a qualified electrician who can inspect the unit internally for you and can replace it if necessary.

Probably the cheapest solution is to replace it with a Triton T80. They are a reasonable shower and because it is the same make, the installation will be cheaper as it is straight off and straight on again.

Fitting a Mira shower (although good quality) will require a plumbing and electrical alteration, that will add to your cost.

Keep the shower switched off at the pull chord until it has been inspected. It is not likely to cause any further problems.

resimpson
Labourer
Labourer

by resimpson » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Thank-you so much for the help, I really appreciate it!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:07 am