Soakaway location next to retaining wall problems
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dmoblay
Apprentice
Apprentice

Soakaway location next to retaining wall problems

by Dmoblay » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 pm

I have built a new wall in my garden. It's about 12m across the back and 6m down the side - L shape. It's built on 500mm wide footings, roughly 700mm deep. The wall height is up to 2m (some sections are lower with cladding ontop).

The soil does have clay in it but does drain.

I am about to replace the patio. There is an old soakaway under the patio (which I haven't dug up yet - based on the other cowboy jobs around the house I don't expect it to be particularly well made).

The total garden depth is only about 6.5m - so to be 5m away from the house i'd need to build the soakaway right up against the boundary wall.

My question is will a soakaway built that close to the wall cause any issues with the garden wall foundations? I am proposing to build a 1m3 soakaway to cope with the run off from the patio plus the gutters. I know normally you wouldn't build a soakaway within 2.5m of a boundary line but I've spoken to my neighbours and they don't have any objections as it's right at the end of their long garden. I am concerned about the drainage impacting the wall though.

I can't easily connect to the sewer as they sewer runs across the front of the house and I don't have side access to be able to run a new pipe.

What's your thoughts?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Soakaway location next to retaining wall problems

by stoneyboy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 pm

Hi domoblay
Sometimes a compromise has to be made and I suggest you locate the soakaway centrally in your garden area. suggest you do not locate it close to your walls.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:26 am