i am afraid i am a little amateur when it comes to domestic d i y matters, so i hope you can help on probably a very simple thing.
i have an extension socket with 4 gangs and its one of those with green power surge light, as well as the orange one.
i once plugged my laptop ac adaptor in it, and sparks flew, along with smoke and the smell of burnt rubber.
but afterwards, everything functioned. the extension socket and the gangs, my ac adaptor as well as the computer. nothing was damaged. The only thing visible was the pins on the adaptor looks a bit burnt and black.
then, every now and again when i plug items into the gangs, a little spark would be visible.
again, everything works.
please let me know what is happening, and should i replace the extension socket? Both lights are on, so both are working as it says.
or is it the fuse of the plugs in question? How can i tell if a fuse works or not inside a plug?
IF the sparks are within the extension.
When it blew the first time it may have damaged inside the extension, or something may be loose or going wrong inside it, if you dont know someone to check inside it, it may be better to stop using it and replace it ,for your own safety.
If it sparks with various different plugs it is more likely the ext lead than anything else, the fuses or plugs unless really lose would not normally spark.
Although the lead is lit up and working it still may be faulty.
It is unlikely to be the fuses causing your problem but
To check fuses you need something to check continuity, like a meter or you can get a neat little screwdriver which lights up.
First you test screwdriver by touching the end and it lights
you then remove the fuse touch the end and if fuse good it lights up
if it dont light up, fuse blown
Retouch screwdriver to check lights up
(DONT BUY THE ONE YOU TOUCH ON THE LIVE TERMINAL TO LIGHT UP)
You need the one with built in battery that does CONTINUITY
It will light up in your hand at the shop when you touch the ends of the screwdriver
Not all fuses are the same rating and should be correct for the appliance
DO NOT USE 13 amp fuses for everything sometimes 3 or 5 amp is correct.
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!