sockets and consumer unit problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sparked
Apprentice
Apprentice

sockets and consumer unit problems

by sparked » Tue May 27, 2008 10:49 pm

went to customers today he wants few sockets here and there

in consumer unit i found few burnt earh wires the consumer unit is about 1 foot away from the cooker hob unit caked in grease etc

theres no eart in kitchen light he wants to put new one in

what steps can be done now ???

ive not done any work yet do i need to get conumer moved or what ?
what about the earths in it
and what about the light earth and so on

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed May 28, 2008 11:45 am

It is a common dilemma where you know it really needs a rewire but the customer is unlikely to sanction work.
1) Regulation 528.3.1 prevents you installing cables etc. where they may be damaged by heat. Also see 132.5.2 and 132.7.
2) As to earth 543.61 means you have to follow same route as original cables and 541.1.1 (iii) with mean at least 2.5mm² and most likely 4mm²
So either move cooker or consumer unit in most cases easy way out move cooker and replace damaged cables of course and completely re-wire light as it is just as much work running new earth cables using same route as old as installing a completely new cable.
Since a special location and Part P is involved with all test data etc. sent to building controls either via clearing agent or direct it’s not worth cutting corners in the end you will get caught out so just say sorry but must comply.

Jobs worth and all that. I assume you have copy of 17th?

sparked
Apprentice
Apprentice

hi eric mark

by sparked » Wed May 28, 2008 7:28 pm

hi thankyou for reply would it be ok to install the sockets in the bedrooms and one in the lounge then? (( because of the faults in the consumer unit etc ))) or should i leave it all

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed May 28, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi Sparked,
advice from NAPIT/ECA, you will be taking responsibility for whole installations safety, minimum is as Eric says and if you do just as requested then your minor works/completion cert. will be full of non-conformaties, ie cat 2/3 reports.
I would look at every fault obvious, point out dangers to customer and be prepared to follow me down the road!!!
To be fair I am finding more & more clients who will after a bit of a moan go for the extra work when pointed out that should they ever want to sell up/move an inspection will be required and the above will cause a 'Failed MOT' on the property, better to get it done now and enjoy a safer house than have to do it later for the benefit of a new occupier.
regards SPARX

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed May 28, 2008 9:13 pm

I had assumed you were a qualified spark? You refer to customer! My comments were based on this. Your reply makes me wonder as to work on the system will require the raising of at least minor works certificates and under Part 2 you will have to declare all the faults you list.
In industry you have the power to turn off the supply and can even countermand the orders of the managing director (although you would be daft to do so if you want to keep your job).
Unlike the Gas men we as yet don’t have that power in private houses but with burnt earth wires and so many faults you have only two options.
1) Refuse to do the work.
2) Do all work required to make the installation safe.
I am a little confused by “Do I need to get consumer unit movedâ€

sparked
Apprentice
Apprentice

hello

by sparked » Wed May 28, 2008 9:30 pm

thankyou for the replys done customer quote up for sockets etc and mentioned i can not do work under what advice etc you have given me oh well roll on when i get my assesment done in few weeks and earn some extra money rather than passing my work on yet again dammm

sparked
Apprentice
Apprentice

quick reply

by sparked » Wed May 28, 2008 9:41 pm

sorry if ive mislead anybody

im not fully qualified part yes ive been working along side friends dad for well over 12 months the he's been getting people in to sign it off and paying me a day wage etc mmm of course

so as above topic answer yes im going to mention in my rough quote to the customer ill mention everything as to danger etc as i dont want to be liable for a single thing i found ((( cover my ass )))

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat May 31, 2008 11:47 am

You seem to have learn the most important bit (((Cover my ass))). It is very different doing work for someone else to doing it for ones self. Remember anything with health and safety must be in writing. It can be electronic does not have to be on paper but must be in writing not just verbal. The HSE can take you to court if only verbal.

All best Eric

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:20 pm