DIY Doctor

Sofa foam filling - what is this filling called?

Postby mick.n » Sun May 04, 2014 2:37 pm

We had our 6 year old sofa taken away by a local tradesman last year to put new filling in as it was sagging badly. It has been ok untill recently, but the cushion that gets used most has started sagging again.

Being curious, i took the bottom fabric off to have a look to see what the repair man had done & i found he had used 3 slabs of this type of foam under each cushion.

As you can see from the pics, it is a multi coloured mixture of all kinds of foam. Anyone knows what the correct name is for this filling so i can try to track some down? It's about 1" thick.
DSC00501.jpg (97.19 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
DSC00500.jpg (59.37 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
DSC00499.jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:40 pm


Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Mon May 19, 2014 10:25 am

Hi, not really our field I'm afraid but Ive had a look round for you and the closest I can get in the high density foam category is this.

It comes in varying thicknesses and can be bought here
foam.jpg (29.11 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Postby Kelpaul » Tue May 27, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi, this foam is called reconstituted foam, also known as chip foam. You can buy this from
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:14 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics