All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Barry Bunsen
Ganger
Ganger

Soil pipe ventilation problem

Post by Barry Bunsen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi
I have been asked to help out with a soil stack which is not vented. It seems the local council are not impressed. The soil stack slopes gradually down the outside of the house from the wc for about 4 meters, bends around the front of the house about 3 meters from the ground, then straight down.
I intended to branch into the soil stack as it reaches the front of the house and vent straight upwards. However, because of a front porch and a very narrow side alley, access is impossible without a helicopter.
Can someone tell me if it is allowable to branch the vent pipe into the sloping pipe on the side of the house, or does the vent have to be vertically above the soil pipe entry into the manhole?
Thanks

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Stelf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 pm

Hi Barry
The soil pipe should be vented where it exits the outside wall adjacent to the room containing the WC.
Best wishes

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Barry Bunsen,
Your question is difficult to interpret. If the council want you to instal a vent this should be at the highest point of the system. You might be able to get away with fitting an AAV near the WC - talk to the BI - different councils and even inspectors have differing viewpoints.
end

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:33 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:57 pm