Information, help and advice on all areas of landscaping and land design

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Whacky Llama
Labourer
Labourer

Soil Smell

by Whacky Llama » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:57 am

HI,

I Purchased a house 6 months ago, no one had lived in the house for a year prior to my buying it. Both the front and rear gardens both over grown so we flattened them both :)

The Front garden was covered in the material that stops weeds, when we ripped this up there was a strange smell, that we put down to the soil being covered up for so long.

We plan to change the front garden into a an extra parking place so currently have bare soil, no recently the soil has started to smell, it isn't a drain smell but an odd smell which is hard to explain. We have the same smell in some bare soil in the back garden, we have no idea what is causing the smell but wuld like to be rid pf the smell as you can smell it from the path at the front of the house.

Thanks

Whacky

hennell
Labourer
Labourer

by hennell » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:21 pm

I have never heard about soil emitting a smell. You should probably contact an expert to determine the source of the smell which is also the best way to get rid of it.

cherryrosh
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Soil Smell

by cherryrosh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:22 am

The soil has over-water in it.It means, the presence of anaerobic bacteria is more in number than aerobic bacteria and it releases hydrogen sulphide and that gives bad smell....

Sofarris
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Sofarris » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:26 pm

I think it would definitely be worth getting an expert out to see what the issue could be. Without more info I don't think anyone one here can really help...

thompsonpatricia
Labourer
Labourer

by thompsonpatricia » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:07 am

yea it's first time i heard about it man. go immediately and meet with a expert.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm