Soldering or crimping a 6.0mm or 10.0mm cable
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
zybbok
Labourer
Labourer

Soldering or crimping a 6.0mm or 10.0mm cable

Post by zybbok » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:54 am

Hello folks.
I've been reading on the forum that it's OK to solder or crimp 2.5mm cable that's inside a stud partition wall.
Does the same apply to a 6.0mm or 10.0mm electric hob and cooker cable?
I want to replace an electric hob and cooker with new appliances, move them to another wall and conceal the the hob and cooker cable behind the wall.
I've seen crimps in sizes up to 6mm.
Thanx in advance

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 am

In non accessible areas screw connectors should not be used. Soldering 6 and 10 mm cables is not really an option as it is not physically strong enough, so crimping is only option, normally one would also use shrink sleeve to insulate as well, since over 6mm crimps are not pre-insulated, plus you would need to hire crimping machine/pliers.
But putting that aside for a minuet I can’t see why you want to do it in first place? Remembering that permitted zones in walls are only to and from socket outlets and the like, one would need to remove the cable from the wall if it no longer supplied a unit to identify where the cable is. So any joins are likely to be under floor boards. Either that or at original isolator which would be left in position.
Also most cookers and hobs are in kitchens which means either a registered electrician or the local authority (Part P) will be involved both are able to advise on this.
Since from June this year RCD’s or other protection is required when concealing cables you may also need to add a RCD or change cable type.
Ali-tube cable is not available so easy in the larger sizes so may need SWA, conduit, Mineral insulated etc. unless RCD is used.
I would consider if this is really a DIY job? By time you pay council, hire crimp pliers and all the meters required to test the work it is likely cheaper to get an electrician to do the work for you.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:20 pm