Soldering
Help, advice and questions answered on all types of metal joinery

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Linda66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Soldering

by Linda66 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi! Thanks for v useful advice re painting plug sockets. New question: is it possible to solder without a soldering iron? I'm in the sticks in France and my phone charger's not working (it's a French gizmo that plugs into a house plug socket at one end, you plug your phone's car charger into the other end). I've taken it apart (sure you're not supposed to do that for some unknown reason!) and one of the two wires is disconnected. Tried superglue, no good. Need to solder it, no soldering iron! Help please.

LEO292
Apprentice
Apprentice

by LEO292 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi. If the wireing doesnt get too hot try hot melt glue. Other than that its solder Im afraid. Hope this helps. Leo.

Linda66
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Linda66 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 am

Hi Leo. What's hot melt glue?! Am going to big city today (Perpignan), will try to get some. Spent ages yesterday with superglue again. Managed to stick wire to metal blob on board thing (yeh, I'm very technical) but still not working because, I think, the glue is now stopping the metal conducting! But thank you for reply, it's a kind of magic having you guys out there! Wonder if I'll ever be able to offer diy advice to anyone (doubt it) :-}

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Soldering

by Perry525 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:03 pm

Hi, when I started soldering we used a "Soldering Iron"
This was a steel rod with a wooden handle at one end and a copper point at the other.
Simple procedure we put it in the fire until it was hot enough to melt the solder and join whatever.
You can make a soldering iron from a piece of copper hammered flat and filed to a point.

corkee
Apprentice
Apprentice

by corkee » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:06 pm

I've got a Camping Gaz torch set which has a soldering iron bit, heated by the gas flame.

Good for plumbing too!

Linda66
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Linda66 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:34 pm

Thank you for last two mails re soldering. Unfortunately they didn't arrive before I left France for the UK (where my forgotten charger was waiting). Before I left I threw the bloody phone charger in the bin in disgust! Next time....

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:29 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Ressy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Soldering

by Ressy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:08 pm

[quote="Linda66"]Hi! Thanks for v useful advice re painting plug sockets. New question: is it possible to solder without a soldering iron? I'm in the sticks in France and my phone charger's not working (it's a French gizmo that plugs into a house plug socket at one end, you plug your phone's car charger into the other end). I've taken it apart (sure you're not supposed to do that for some unknown reason!) and one of the two wires is disconnected. Tried superglue, no good. Need to solder it, no soldering iron! Help please.[/quote]

If the connection you need to solder is very fine you may be able o heat a copper wire with a match or candle and get it red hot then melt the two solders together.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:45 am