soudproofing or do I buy ear muffs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
melvin
Apprentice
Apprentice

soudproofing or do I buy ear muffs

by melvin » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:01 pm

The old semi detached Victorian house next door is being converted into flats. I'm looking forward to listening to Kylie and Maddonna tunes after coming home from my night shift. Not to mention the marital harmony discussions and the feed me sounds of a new baby. My first thought was to buy two pairs of ear muffs, one for me and one for the wife. At least this way I would have an excuse for not hearing her latest idea for decorating the bedroom.
On a more serious note. I need to make sure the sound proofing is adequate. Having done a bit of research. An increase of 15 to 16 decibels (db) will do the job. I've given their builder this spec and a product name that would meet the spec. However, the builder replies that. "In order to comply with building regulations we must install the following".

Install 50mm x 50mm timber batons to walls.
Fill with Rockwool insulation.
Fit 12.5mm plasterboard.
Install second layer of 12.5mm soundblock plasterboard.

Can anyone tell me what the building regulation is for this situation? and secondly does this proposed remedy give me the 15/16db protection?

p.s the dividing wall is single brick.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:49 pm

Try posting in "Building Regulations & Planning Permission" this is electrical bit.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:37 pm