Soundproofing a Ceiling
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mrshed1982
Labourer
Labourer

Soundproofing a Ceiling

by mrshed1982 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 pm

Has anyone heard of Maxiboard? I found it at Google "soundreduction.co.uk" and was wondering if it was better than Soundbloc when used to soundproof a ceiling?

JeffR
Labourer
Labourer

choosing plasterboard

by JeffR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:42 pm

My ceiling was starting to fall so I pulled it down and need to replace it, but am not sure what to use. I removed horse hair plaster which was up to an inch/25mm thick and want the equivalent or better sound resistance. Can anyone recommend the appropriate thickness of plasterboard and/or should I use insulated board (I'm not that bothered about heat, but wouldn't mind if it insulates a bit better)?

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Jeff, the modern way, is using plasterboard.
If the ceiling is upstairs with a loft,attic or flat roof above, then you need to think about insulation.
The best insulation is polystyrene, buy it in sheets, no more than two inches thick (easier to handle and cut) cut to fit between the joists, make it a tight fit.
When you have filled the spaces between the joists, then add another layer of three inch thick polystyrene tightly butted, no gaps or holes below the joists, then fix the plasterboard below the polystyrene.

This will make your room nice and warm and cheap to heat, the polystyrene and plasterboard will pay for itself in a year or so, with the heat you will save.
If its a down stairs room, with another room above, just fit the three inches of polystyrene below the joists and the plasterboard.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:38 pm