Soundproofing a conservatory type room (polycarbonate roof)
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikewilkins
Labourer
Labourer

Soundproofing a conservatory type room (polycarbonate roof)

by mikewilkins » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:36 pm

We have a noise proble from right hand neighbours in the adjoining semi who have a similar wood beamed structure done in unison with previous neighbours. Firstly we thought the noise was coming through the wall but this was further insulated, and it is clear that the noise is coming through the polycarbonate roofing. It picks up on voices and resonates even across the roofing to the kitchen extension which has the same polycarbonate panels.

It has been suggested that we double glaze with glass internally and I have a quote for circa £1500 but am uncertain whether this will do the trick or whether there is a cheaper alternative. We still wish to have plenty of light in the room and I am wondering whether there is a lightweight polycarb or alternative sheeting which could be layered between the existing roof and the proposed double glazing?

I have photos that I can send to make it clearer, but any help will be much appreciated. Is there a cheaper option?[/img]

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:26 pm

MW,

ALL THAT MAY BE REQUIRED IS A SECONDARY INTERNAL POLYCARBINATE ROOF INSTALLED, PROVIDING AN AIR GAP (THE LARGER THE BETTER) IS INTRODUCED WHICH WILL REDUCE THE TRANSMISSION OF SOUND VIBRATIONS TO A MORE ACCEPTABLE LEVEL.

SAME PRINCIPLE AS WINDOW SECONDARY GLAZING.

ALDA.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:50 am