Speedfit tap connector leaking at speedfit end
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RevdMark
Labourer
Labourer

Speedfit tap connector leaking at speedfit end

Post by RevdMark » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:49 pm

I recently replaced our bath taps with a new mixer, and in the process had to replace one of the flexible hoses for the cold water.

Having removed the old compression fitting (olive and all) the pipe was scuffed slightly on the outside, so I rubbed it down with some wire wool, cut the top with a pipe cutter to ensure a straight end and replaced the hose with a speedfit connector (one the the grey ones that just pushes on).

Now it leaks from the connection to the copper pipe very very slightly, but enough for me to be concerned about.

What is the best course of action to correct this? I can replace it with a compression joint if thats appropriate, or is there something I can use to help create a good seal with the push on connector...

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

Post by jondeau » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:51 am

The push fit fittings rely on an 'O ring' seal to make a sound joint, these seals are precisely sized to fit the pipe. If the pipe is even slightly distorted or scratched it will not seal correctly.

You need to either cut the pipe back until you have a perfect section of pipe or replace the push fit with compression.

JD

ian l
Labourer
Labourer

Post by ian l » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:17 pm

From my limited experience with speedfit. I have found on occasions that the copper has not been fully inserted causing a bad seal.
Alternatively, I have come across speedfit fittings that don't have the internal seal fitted.
Lastly, try a pipe insert.

I'm sure someone can offer you better advise, but that would be my line of attack.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 pm